Friday, July 30, 2010

source of strength

it was drizzling and i was on my way to work driving. i saw the old couple again! have seen them many times since i moved here (almost two years now...TIME FLIES!!!). depending on the time i have pushed off from my house (still haven't felt 'at home'), i have spotted them at different locations along the 3-km stretch of road.

  • most of the time i saw the two of them walking one behind the other or side by side - my heart was heavy for reason i tried not to 'entertain' too long.
  • at times i saw only one of them trudging along the side of the road - my heart was heavy 'locating' the other one.
  • at times they were walking in the opposite direction i was heading - i knew they were late, my heart was heavy, my mind rolling over what could have had happened that morning or the night before.
  • at times they walked fast, at times slow - my heart was heavy, i thought of what they were in a hurry for when they were fast and the meal they could have had missed when they were slow.
  • at times the loads were heavy, at times light - my heart was heavy 'feeling' every bit of load, heavy or light.
every time i saw them, i wondered...
  • if collecting recycleable materials from trash-bins, house to house, was an option to them or the only-option they had to live with.
  • if they were the only members of their family.
  • how far they walked each day.
  • how many hours they worked a day.
  • what they did when they were at home.
  • what regular meal they had to stay fit for the work they did.
...until i reached my office where so-called 'mind-over-matters' matters and feelings never matter.

on that particular day when i decided to stop my car and took a shot of them, i wondered a little longer...

....my heart was heavier than any other day before at the thought of them being each other source of strength...



No comments: